Matthew 7:21 “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.”
Here, we have a sad passage of scripture. Judas realizes his decision to reject Christ has brought Christ to condemnation. Seeing this, Judas repents himself, but it is too late. Judas runs out of that office and heads to find some way to try to make things right for what he had done. He had turned his back on the very Son of God. What happened? How? Why? When? You see, Judas was not a backslidden person. Judas was not the worldly one that everyone thought would be the betrayer. Judas was a disciple. Judas was just as much a disciple as Peter, John, James, Matthew, or Luke.
1. Judas Knew The Place (John 18:1-2). Judas knew where Jesus met with the disciples. He knew the place of prayer. He knew the place of preaching. He knew where Jesus taught them. He knew the place. He had been to: church, Sunday School, youth department, camp, Bible College, youth conference, youth activities, Christian School. He knew the place. He knew how to get in, how to dress, how to act, how to look, how to “fit in”.
2. He Knew The Pity LOVE (John 12:3-7). Judas saw the pity, love, compassion, charity, mercy, and care of Jesus. Judas wanted to take this ointment and sell it to make money, but Jesus wanted to honor this lady’s service. We know the pity.
3. He Knew The People (John 6:70-71). Judas was chosen as one of the twelve bDisciples. He was with these men for 3 ½ years. He knew the people around Jesus. He knew: Peter, James, John, Matthew, Bartholomew, Luke, James, Judas, Simon. He knew: the blind man that received sight, lame man that could walk, Nicodemus, the woman. We know the Preachers. We know the people.
4. He Knew The Promise (Luke 22:3-6). Judas knew how to commit. He knew how to make a promise. He knew what it meant to make a decision. We know how to promise.
5. He Knew The Preaching (Luke 6:16-20a). He stood and listened to the “Sermon on the Mount”. He heard every message Jesus preached. He saw every miracle. He was there. He heard the Word from the very lips of Jesus. He knew the preaching. We know the preaching.
6. He Knew The Person (Matt 7:21-23). You see it’s not about Rules. It’s about a Relationship. It’s not a look. It’s about the Book. It’s not “What I Do”. It’s “Who I Do It For”. Judas missed it. How is Your Relationship?
Youth Pastor | Assistant Pastor
Clays Mill Baptist Church